Friday, July 2, 2010

Nicknames

I was thinking this morning about camp and how much meaning a name can have. When you work at Camp Squanto you are dubbed with a "camp name". Mine was Miss Roboto. My maiden name was Ribaudo and thus the Styx song sounded much like that so there you have it. Roboto or Robo became my name and it has so many memories with it. Sometimes I wish someone would call me that now just because of all the wonderful memories tied with it. I can still hear specific people's voices saying that nickname, which is really cool but also makes me miss people like crazy! (necessary shout out to all of my fellow camp squanto staffers... love you all).

Then I was thinking about all of the different nicknames I've had and the memories tied to each of those. It's so cool how you become branded at different times in life by different people and it becomes something you cherish.
I've been:
Pumps- short for pumpkin, called that by my dad
Tressy- wonderful memories of a camp friend, Katelyn Billings
Treehead - not such a wonderful name but memories none the less, Chris Browning
Tress - commonly called this by many friends
Tressy-poo - classic Katy Mann, college friend and co-sufferer of A & P
Roboto/Robo - Squanto, as referenced before
Crazylegs - soccer coach and wonderful friend, Johnny Jackman
T.J.J.B. - Mr. Short, a high school teacher
T.J. Raaar - Stephanie Craddock, middle school




1 comment:

  1. I always think of Tressa Jean Jelly Bean...the cute little girl with the mushroom cut...still wish we put that name on your first license plate in NC!

    ReplyDelete