Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The End of an Era

Anyone who attended Taylor University will tell you to avoid Anatomy and Physiology. Many people took that class off campus through another university. Why? Dr. B.

Dr. Tim Burkholder was renown across campus as a HARD professor. I went into my 2 semesters of A&P with dread and fear. And I learned why Dr. B. was so feared. He actually makes you learn and apply material without spoon-feeding you. I held this against him for those 2 semesters, wishing that I was not up studying for 7 hours at Handy Andy the night before a test (honestly, if I had been a better student I probably could have avoided some of that).

But now that I am past A&P (and passed), I look back with great fondness. Dr. B. was one of a few profs who really got me to think and work. He was a wonderful man and cared for his students and treated them as college students should be treated, as intellectuals to be challenged.

I read this morning in the Taylor Magazine that Dr. B. is retiring his post. I began to tear up at that thought. No one will be able to fill those shoes quite to the extent that he did. 40 years of striking fear into prospective students hearts and winning them over in the end. What an incredible legacy. I am proud to have been his student and ever thankful for the challenges he placed in front of me.

So here's to Dr. B., a Taylor legacy and wonderfully challenging educator.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I have ever heard of an A & P class being easy. I took Anatomy on its own and Physiology on its own. My Anatomy instructor was crazy hard, but good. I learned a ton. He only had 1 eye and he actually kept his children's placentas in a jar in the lab. Ah, I love science.

    I do not miss, however, our lab TA Billy Bob. He was horrible and dumb.

    PS - I liked your old subtitle for your blog better.

    ReplyDelete