Monday, June 28, 2010

My Garden

I have wanted a vegetable garden since I was at least 7. I never got one because my mom is admittedly not a "green thumb." Well, now I'm 26 and I have a garden! 2 summers ago I tried just doing cucumbers and tomatoes. The next summer I expanded quite a bit and went a little overboard. This year I think I've got my perfect plot. I'm still perfecting my planting roster but I'm getting there!

Living in Kansas, or at least where I live in Kansas, Bermuda Grass is king. It is also my greatest foe. Last year my garden was bordered with railroad ties and became overrun with Bermuda. It was impossible to beat and at the end of the summer I just gave up and my garden became a jungle I was afraid to enter for fear of giant insects. This year I got a little smarter. My wonderful husband built a wall for me! My mom and I dug 4 inches down the entire area of the garden to get rid of most of the Bermuda. Then my wonderful husband put up my walls. Next my mom and I put a layer of newspaper and then dirt, dirt, and more dirt. Sadly, I couldn't use any of the dirt from my yard because it all has Bermuda in it. This is sad because I have excellent dirt. However, I would rather have a Bermuda free garden, so I'll build this dirt up over the next few years.

I have growing right now cucumbers, garlic, green beans, onions, spaghetti squash, butternut squash, Florida 91 tomatoes, Celebrity tomatoes, Sun Gold tomatoes, green bell peppers, red bell peppers, and sweet potatoes. I love it!

And this year, when I weed, it actually makes a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment